Welcome back to Janel’s Corner
There were 57 million people freelancing in the United States in 2019 – a 4 million increase from 2014, according to a study by Freelancer’s Union.
When considering a job change, one useful tool or exercise is to list the pros and cons. In this blog, I have listed out some of the positives and negatives to get you thinking – is the freelancing journey the right path for you?
Let’s Start With the Positives:
· Flexibility: If you want to sleep in tomorrow or take off the day from work last minute, you totally can.
· Control: You are your own boss! You get to control who you work with, what you charge, where you work, and more.
· Variety: Freelancing allows you to work on a variety of projects and topics that working in-house may not! You shouldn’t get bored with doing the same thing over and over again.
· Unlimited Vacation time: Want to take a trip to Fiji next week and maybe to Florida the week after? You are allowed to take off as much time as you want or need from work. Just be smart about it!
Now, Onto the Negatives:
· Lack of security: Unfortunately, most freelancers don’t get compensation benefits like you would if you worked a 9 to 5 job. If you’re in a relationship, you may have to rely on your partner’s benefits.
· Isolation: Depending on the type of work you do, freelancing can be isolating, especially if you often work at home. For some, this is a positive,
· Distractions: Because of your flexible schedule, you may get distracted more often than you expect. This leads to a decrease in productivity and quality of work
So now you may be wondering, “Well, which career path is right for me?” If you enjoy taking risks and you are always trying to challenge yourself – become a freelancer and ditch your 9 to 5!
If you are looking for security and stability and you typically try to avoid uncertainty, stick with a regular 9 to 5 job. Just keep in mind, there is no “wrong” decision to make here. Key takeaway – do what makes you the happiest.
→ Hire me on BeeBizy @Janel Westerfield, Digital Marketing Freelancer